Interactive map

Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Phase 4, Day 1. Kansas City airport - Marshall, MO

Kansas City airport-Marshall Station. 104 miles

Well here we go again. Another week of every day getting up at 5am, finding a big breakfast, packing the gear, reviewing the day's route and heading out for 6-8 hours.  Should be interesting.


A swollen Missouri River


...Then the sun came out!


Clearly I'm not the first along this road. 

OK, I must come clean. I cheated a bit yesterday. I've been keeping an eye on the weather for the past week and it's not good. I was super lucky, up 'til now, to not have one single wet riding day the entire 2100 miles it has taken me to get this far. My luck has run out. This week is  forecast to be wet and cold...50 degrees...at least for the first day or two. 105 miles on a bike in 50 degree rain with a 20 mph wind in the face is a tough go. 

I was planning to stay at the airport hotel last night but after arriving at Kansas City airport yesterday and getting the bike re-assembled it was only 3 pm so I thought..."6 wet hours on the bike is better than 8", no? ...so I knocked out a couple of hours in the steady rain (did I mention it was 50F?) and after an uneventful but wet ride soon arrived at the NE edge of Kansas City metro area.  One thing about riding in the rain: believe it or not with the right clothes it's easy to stay warm...wet but warm...until you stop. Once the cyclist stops generating heat a wet body cools down in cold weather very quickly and it soon becomes difficult to get things done...and dangerous. Essentially one is committed to NOT stopping until the end of the day where the warm shower waits. 

So today is really Day 2 but just between us let's imagine it's Day 1.  

It was brutal!  I tried to wait for the rain to let up before leaving the hotel but by 9am was worried about running out of daylight so pressed on. Cold rain, soaking wet, 2 flats (unusual) and a closed road all made for a tough day on the bike. Why couldn't it have been a nice day to start this ride start..you know...to get me in the riding mood? Plus I'm fighting a cold and not tip-top and running on 3 cylinders all day. Another problem with riding east is that one chases the weather so it takes much longer for it to pass. Anyway, it was tough. At about hour 4 the rain let up and I found a coin laundry in Richmond. Figured I could at least ease the misery for the rest of the day by wearing dry clothes.  The rain stopped, dried the clothes, ate a pizza, and suddenly things weren't so bad. 

Then the sun came out and everything was fine again for the last 1.5 hours. Even warmed up to 62F. Fabulous. 

Crossing Missouri is easy...just follow the Missouri River.  Louis and Clark did it. The Santa Fe Trail emigrants did it. I'm doing it too. It still works. 

Went through many, mostly empty, small towns with, if lucky, 1 gas station/convenience store and a Post Office. Others had services at one time but all closed now. I did pass a lot of fruit stands, "See you in June!"  Cherries, peaches, apples. Would have been nice. 

Missouri folks are funny. At first they look at me with heavy suspicion. Don't make eye contact!  But if I start a conversation or ask a question they won't stop talking or stop trying to be helpful. I asked one gal at the last store I stopped how far Marshall was. She had no idea but said it takes her 13 minutes to make the drive and then rounded up her friends to find out the actual mileage. Thanks girl! 

There a slight Southern twang in the voice here, they call soda "pop", and all the rest. Did you know a major Civil War battle was fought in Lexington?  I went trough Lexington today...the Confederate flag still flies. Trump bumper stickers fly in Lexington too. Just to cover all bases I'm flying the American Flag on the back of the saddle again this year. It has served me well crossing the country. 

Staying in Marshall Station tonight.  Normally I enjoy riding into town and exploring but the motel is 2 miles out and, frankly, I don't have the interest. I'm sure Marshall is a fine place. 

Tomorrow 90+ miles to Jefferson City, the state capital, and also on the Missouri River. Weather is improving so likely dry tomorrow and by Saturday 80F!  Where the heck did I pack those sunglasses?  

3 comments:

  1. Sorry it was nasty but you are such a stud and did it anyway! Love reading about it and all the interesting moments. Everyday will be better than the last, we are rooting for you! Miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is your new fangled direction holder still attached to the bike?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You made it through the rain, as Barry Manilow would say. Good job! Love hearing how friendly everyone is. :)

    ReplyDelete