Interactive map

Thursday, August 31, 2017

Phase 5, Day 7. Lexington-Appomattox, VA

Another 80 miles started by tackling the Blue Ridge Mtns, then left the big mountains behind...but not all the hills. 

A few random pics from the day..




Right out the gate this morning and started the last big climb up and over the Blue Ridge Mountains. Still trying to avoid the dreaded Route 60 and found very remote Robinson Gap Rd, a gravel road but not in bad shape, and made the long climb up and longer descent down. Climbed out of the morning fog and into the sun but due to constant thick forest there was no view of the valley below. Had a couple of dogs chase me again but I'm hip to that now after all my Kentucky dog races. 

While descending Robinson Gap passed the Appalachian Trail as it crossed the road. This iconic trail is said to be the longest hiking trail in the world at over 2000 miles from Georgia to Maine. Must be quite a cool life experience to hike the entire distance. I'll have to do that another day though.  I had planned to come across the trail today and had this notion that I would meet some folks on their own adventure and we could share stories, but no one to be found. I don't know how long I would have to wait until someone rambled by but I wasn't in the mood to wait so took a pic and headed down the gravelly hill for many more miles. 

John Denver's "Country Roads" was in my head all day. Blue Ridge Mtns and Shenandoah River..West Virginia and some mountain Mommas too. Yep. Saw all that. 

The big hills ended and I imagined the countryside would gently roll down to the sea. Boy was I wrong. No big hills but lots and lots of little hills. Bombing down a steep road for half a mile is fun but then the bridge crossing the creek comes in sight and you know the fun is soon over. Gotta now climb back out to do it again and again and again. Yesterday I mentioned how much I like climbing. Wish I hadn't said that. Climbing is fun when there is a goal to reach like a mountain top..not fun when going up and down endlessly. At least the scenery was as good as yesterday and managed to stay on very quiet roads all day. I made some last minute routing changes today which I usually avoid but it was all worth it and struck cycling gold again. 

Tonight in Appomattox, VA. (Say Appoh-maddux). I expected Appomattox to be a lovely and quant town much like last night's Lexington. After all, Appomattox has even more rich Civil War history and is the site of Appomattox Court House where Robert E Lee surrendered the war. There's an interesting National Park celebrating that event here but the town is shabby with not much to offer. The interstate passes through town, railroad too, so Walmart, McDonald's and all the rest are just up the road and therefore there is no charm here.  Reminds me of some of the towns I stayed in Kentucky. 

Found some local entertainment at the high school football game, the biggest thing in Appomattox. Appomattox Raiders handily beating Rusburg Red Devils at half time when I split. Red Devils need serious help on special teams among other things. 

Not to worry, still a fun day. Tomorrow is a long day at 110 miles to Petersburg and hopefully without those pesky rolling hills. Forecast is for rain most of the day..bummer.


Sent from my iPhone

2 comments:

  1. Sounds awesome riding along those country roads John Denver would sing about! Bummer about the constant rolling hills. Reminds me of hiking to hot springs in big sur. I hope the rest of the ride is nice and smooth! Can't wait to hear what song you were singin next!
    -JP

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats Ben! I hiked the Appalacian trail a few different times in High school and college days but never the entire thing...Best experience was in Southern VA near Lynchburg College when a buddy and I spent 4 days on the trail and only saw one other live soul....

    ReplyDelete