Interactive map

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Phase I, Day 3. Carson City-Fallon, NV

71 miles. A nice tailwind push and slight net downhill made it the easiest 71 miles I can remember. 40F at the start but I brought the cold weather riding gear so all was good.



Glad to finally get into the Basin and Range; broad valleys separated by mountain ranges. This will go on and on for the rest of the week and is my favorite kind of riding.

The morning traffic in Carson City eased up as I got further from town. Not much to see on this leg as it turned out but still a nice ride. Made a quick stop at the Bunny Ranch...just to get a picture. Really. I didn't ask for the "free tour" but was greeted by the Madam while trying to get a picture at the front gate. Nice lady.



Ended the day in Fallon, NV in the heart of the Lahontan Valley. Did you know the Lahontan Valley is one of Nevada's most productive agricultural and ranching regions? Also, Fallon is home to a Top Gun Navy Airbase. I noticed this when I was rolling into town thinking what a nice quiet little place it was when a sudden ear-piercing low level jet flew right over Maine Street. (yes, Maine with an E). Fallon: Ranchers and Jet Jocks.



The traffic along the highway wasn't heavy but I expected less traffic. Also, NV DOT cut a rumble strip right across the riding shoulder so I spent much of the ride in the highway looking behind me. Thankfully it's easy to see many miles down the road here so plenty of time to get out of the way of the ranchers and jet jocks.

I'm trying to stop at all the roadside historic markers. There are many and some with the occasional reference to the Pony Express. Learning some fun facts about Nevada.

Locals tell me the road East of here, tomorrow's ride, is when the "Loneliest" part begins. Good, this is what I came for. Tomorrow to Austin and 110 very remote miles with 4 passes to climb. Should be a great day.

I expect Fallon to be the last bit of "modern" America for me until the weekend. My T-Mobile cell phone will have no signal and wifi might be a struggle in the overnight towns. The SPOT tracker will still work and always show my position however. I will try to update this blog during the next few days if I can find a wifi signal.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the update and the tracking. I follow with a mixture of jealousy and admiration. The first day would have killed me.. Gives me motivation thought. Thanks again!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ranchers and Jet jocks, you fit right in! love the blog and love you more

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a friend of Carrie's - she sent me your blog link. I'm just returning from my own cross country trip (via car, not bike!) i've been gone for 2 months and will be home tomorrow. My dad lives in Fallon and I was just there a few weeks ago. Safe journeys! look forward to reading more about your ventures.
    kecia

    ReplyDelete