Interactive map

Saturday, June 9, 2012

Phase I, Day 7. Ely-Baker, NV

85 miles. Included a side trip up to Great Basin National Park.



Another nice day and another early start to avoid the forecast wind gusts to 40mph. Worked out pretty well as the strong wind only began to pick up at the very end.

Not so sad to leave Ely. Front desk Madge says "$5 charge if you don't return the hotel key card at checkout". I returned the key card. The railroad museum is nice. That's all I could get from Ely.



Two good climbs today with long descents. The climbing in the Great Basin is mostly very mellow. 3%-4% on average so it's easy to maintain a good speed going up. 10mph usually. Much easier than what I'm used to at home.



The descent from 7600' Conners Pass into Spring Valley was the highlight. With a tailwind and good downslope I don't think I cranked the pedal for 15 miles. Super fun.

Rolled into Baker, NV. Population 68, but that seems like a real stretch. This is Baker, NV....all of it:



...and here's a car I passed on my way to Baker:



Dumped my gear at the motel and headed up the hill to the Great Basin National Park. Great Basin National Park is really an amazing place. Reminds me of The Grand Tetons in WY and not what you would expect to find in the Great Basin. Mighty Wheeler Peak climbs straight from the valley floor to 13500'. Did you know Great Basin National Park is home to the only glacier in Nevada? 5000 year old Bristle Cone pines too.

I wanted to climb up to the end of the 10,000' level scenic drive but that wind I was trying to stay ahead of finally caught up. I aborted the climb to the top because of sketchy riding conditions due to strong cross wind and dropped back down to the visitor center instead. Took the 1 hour tour of the Lehman Caves.

When I set out on this trip I didn't have too many expectations but one thing I was really hoping to see were the fabulous Nevada wildflowers. Datura is everywhere but haven't seen much else. On the slope up to the park I spotted a nice Beavertail Cactus today.



Tomorrow the bike and I say goodby to Nevada and the "Loneliest Road". Nevada has been good to us. Next stop is Delta, UT.

I can see the end of this ride nearing and the timing is just about right for this bike rider.

2 comments:

  1. glad I got to talk to you today, seems like you have been gone along time. What an adventure, sure will be happy to see you Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ben, What an amazing ride, I am gigantically impressed and happy that you are living one of your dreams. Maria says, "Ride Ben ride!" Timbre says," Ben you are a beast!"

    ReplyDelete