Interactive map

Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Phase 2, Day 1. Salt Lake City- Evanston, WY

99 miles. Lots of climbing but I beat the heat.

Last year I spent 2 days crossing Western Utah to SLC. It's remote and not much for scenery. Today I was expecting more of the same for the last day of the Utah crossing. Happily I was wrong.

Brigham Young is everywhere in Salt Lake City. I left the hotel at 5am and soon was passing "This is the Place" park. Then as I climbed up Emigration Canyon Rd., the sky began to lighten up and I noticed signs marking every overnight spot Brigham Young stayed during his journey to the park. . I stopped to read them all. One marked a spot where he sat down to rest when he was feeling ill. The marker noted his people prayed and he soon felt better. Seems they did a lot of praying and climbing nearby hills to pray some more.

The Pony Express route shared the same trail through the passes. The trails where narrow and I imagine the Pony Express rider was going full tilt as he passed the Mormon emigrants. They probably prayed for him too.

Big Mountain Pass.  The original Pony Express and Mormon Emigrant trail 
Crossing the mountains east of SLC was like a postcard scene. The grass is still green, the wildflowers are still in bloom, and the Quaking Aspen are everywhere.

50 miles on Chalk Creek Rd.  Very nice.
I spent most of the day between 6500' and 7500' riding on a high plateau so the temperature only got into the hi 80's. Leaving early was wise...104F in SLC today was the forecast. I saw 59F on the thermometer at one summit.

The plateau is used for sheep grazing. Lots of sheep grazing. I came over a small rise and the road was covered in sheep as the ranchers were moving the flock along the road. I quickly stopped but the sheep must have thought I was a dude on a horse because they freaked out and ran in all random directions hopping low fences and running the wrong way. Sheep everywhere! Whoops. The real dudes on horses sent the dogs after the wayward sheep. I want to think they realized I was trying to do the right thing but failed...they tipped their cowboy hats as I rode past them.

The next town is Lander, 200 miles. I can't ride 200 miles in a day. Turns out there's a highway junction in the middle of nowhere called "Farson" at mile 125. Farson is a gas station and motel with "cafe". We shall see. Tomorrow to Farson!

3 comments:

  1. Good Stuff!! A d thanks for posting!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your blog and reading about your day, it makes me see it through your eyes. I especially like the pictures. Missing you here...xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ben, be safe and enjoy the beautiful ride. Fun to see the posts from you and the pictures too! Take care and I will look forward to seeing you sometime soon! :) ~Marci w/ Dr. T

    ReplyDelete