Interactive map

Monday, July 1, 2013

Phase 2 starts tomorrow. Almost didn't make it.

Phase 2 hasn't even started yet and already a major problem that nearly de-railed the whole trip.

While packing up the bike for transport to Salt Lake City I noticed a crack in the bike frame. This is a serious problem. The guys at Livermore Cyclery, a pretty good bike shop, weren't too encouraging and without time to repair it or get another opinion I had to quickly come up with a solution or the trip would be postponed.

While at the shop struggling for options and generally desperate for any ideas, bike mechanic Chris took pity on my sad story and, if you can believe this, steps up with: "I've got an extra bike in the back of the shop you can borrow for your ride". Seriously?  The really remarkable thing is Chris and I had never met before last Thursday and he only works at the bike shop on Thursdays.

I can't ride just "any" bike 700 miles in 7 days. It has to be a big bike frame (60 cm) to fit my big body frame (much more than 60 cm) and more important it must be solid and dependable. Chris is tall like I am and his bike is a very nice Trek road bike and although slightly older than mine it has higher quality components.  Despite the unknown and older bike issues Chris is a bike mechanic by trade so my trust level goes up a few clicks.

The bike fits me nicely. Perfect? Not sure yet. I'm using my own saddle because my butt is used to it (very important) and my own peddles, heavy duty tires, bike computer and front and rear lights. Took it for a spin to town on Friday and it runs well.

Of course I was distressed about the bike breakdown. My trusty friend now lies in a parted-out heap in the garage and I was sad to leave it behind...the bike looked sad too. For the past 2 years we've spent nearly 12,000 miles together on some amazing adventures.. Maybe I wore it out. Much better to discover the potential disaster now than to be stranded 50 miles from nowhere I suppose.

I now put my trust in Chris' bike. WAY out of my comfort level today but I shall press on hoping I feel better about things tomorrow after the long 90 mile ride over the Wasatch mountains and on to Evanston, WY.
A visit to Mormon Temple before we set out can't be a bad idea.
I'm in Salt Lake City now and all set to go.  Tomorrow's forecast: Super Hot. Tomorrow also happens to be the biggest climbing day of the week with over 6000' of climbing. Not outrageous as these things go but substantial on a hot day.  My strategy is to roll out at 5am to clear the big passes before things begin to heat up at about 9am. I don't mind riding on flat or downhill in 100F but climbing in extreme heat is very difficult for me.  Despite the obstacles I'm anxious to hit the road.  Should be a great day.




1 comment:

  1. good job Ben! I am glad you got your spike fixed and made it to your destination. I like your blog, and the tracking is very informative. We know how good at maps I am! haha. Keep on biking, we love and miss you...xo Me and Nibbi

    ReplyDelete