Interactive map

Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Phase 3, Day 2. Bridgeport, NE- Lewellen, NE

All the fuss about the weather and it turned out to be a really nice day. Breezy, but nice. The severe weather all moved well north and into South Dakota and east Nebraska so for today, at least, it was a good day to ride.

Following the Platte River, just as the emigrants and Pony Express riders did, is simple and straight.  Small towns along the road every 10 or 15 miles broke up the ride but most in a sad state and nearly deserted.  Towns around here have no paved roads other than the main road through town. 


Broadwater library. Now closed..
Made lots of friends today who drive trains.  Coal trains...very long coal trains passed all day long. Eastbound full of coal and westbound empty to get more coal. I counted 125 coal cars on average per train.  That's a lot of coal heading east as fuel for electric power plants. Anyway, I always wave at the train cab as it goes past (I love trains) and get a big blast from the the train air horn in return. Fun for me!

Arrived in Lewellen, population 282 is what the sign says but the locals tell me that's not right. 82 folks have left since they made that sign. Gravel roads and all, Lewellen is perfect for this traveller, they have food and a bed. That's all I need...and of course the people are all super nice. Met some local fisherman down at the river. They argued with each other about the best way for me to ride to North Platte tomorrow. I said thanks, got it, but it was fun nonetheless.  Soon after it seems I was the newest celebrity...after my encounter with the fishermen the locals soon heard and were fascinated by my journey. I enjoyed hearing about their hardscrabble life in the Nebraska panhandle much more than I enjoyed talking about my goofy and decadent bike ride.

Main St. Lewellen.  Another coal train in the background .

What's with the red flag? Good question. Last year I rode Stage 2 during July 4th week and thought it would be fun to show some pride with an American flag and patriotic flair.  For this week's crossing of Nebraska my Nebraskan friend Lori suggested I fly the Univ. of Nebraska Cornhuskers flag; the Nebraska state flag.  OK, not officially the state flag but might as well be.  Nebraskans love their 'Huskers.
Platte River.  "A mile wide and an inch deep" they say but it's much more than an inch. 
Tomorrow it's about 100 miles along the N. Platte River again to.....wait for it.....North Platte, Nebraska.   I have been to North Platte before and still remember the most excellent truck stop steak dinner I had there.  I'm not much of a steak lover but when in Nebraska.....



No comments:

Post a Comment