Interactive map

Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Phase 3, Day 3. Lewellen to North Platte, NE

87 miles with a bonus tailwind to start. Sadly that didn't last long enough. Other than the headwind it was another lovely day for riding.

Dave at the Gander Inn cooked me up an early and hearty breakfast and soon I was rolling out of town. 7am and the locals are already out. As I rolled the 3 blocks down Main St saw 2 folks from last night who both shouted a "Good Luck!" and I was on my way. Funny how easy it is to make friends in this part of the country.

Soon reached Lake McConaughy, a massive 22 mile stretch of dammed up N. Platte River. It's actually quite nice and looks to be a great place for summer boating and camping.  The terrain here is mostly comprised of sand and sandstone which makes the Lake Mac water crystal clear.  Stopped at a little shop to buy a soda and another customer asked "Didn't I pass you yesterday back in Broadwater?"  He bought my soda. That's how it goes here.
They say "Softball sized hail" came from the storm in the distance last night.  Yikes!  
I have been following the N. Platte River since Wyoming.  The N. Platte and S. Platte actually run parallel to each other for quite a long way separated by a sandstone bluff.  Climbed up and over the bluff to descend into the S. Platte Valley.  That bit of country road was the best part of today's ride.
Keystone-Roscoe Rd.  Had it all to myself for many miles..
At my mile 38 turn I was happy to find myself on the Lincoln Highway which was my companion for much of Phase 1 crossing Nevada and Utah.  I lost it somewhere around Salt Lake City. 101 years ago The Lincoln Highway was the first established cross country road route and went from NYC to San Francisco. The highway was then marked by unique stone or painted markers which can still be seen here and there. Great to be back on the old highway again.


I left the Rockies about 250 miles ago but it hasn't been a flat ride since then, lots of gentle rollers up and down, until today. I finally reached the pancake-flat Plaines.

Stopped for fuel in Paxton and was told last night I must check out Ole's Big Game Steakhouse.  It's a saloon and restaurant filled with Ole's animal trophies from his travels around the world in the 1950s and '60s. Elephants, baboons and likely the only polar bear in Nebraska.  I had the meatloaf special, $7.99, then adjusted my watch to the Central Time Zone.  Pedaled that bike across 2 time zones?  That's a lot of £-ing pedaling!
Polar Bear. Not on the menu. 
Tomorrow 98 miles along the Lincoln Highway to Kearney (say Car-Nee) and in Gothenburg there's a little Pony Express museum to stop and see.  The first of 3 I will visit this week.



2 comments:

  1. your blog is very entertaining. I love how friendly everyone is and all the pictures help me imagine how your adventure is. I see why you love it so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Carrie, the blog is great... So fun to meet people that way...

    ReplyDelete