Interactive map

Saturday, June 7, 2014

Phase 3, Day 6. Nelson, NE- Marysville, KS


An easy 101 miles without any trouble. Perhaps because I remembered to eat lunch today?  3 gas station sandwiches. 

Thunder directly overhead woke me up at 3am. By the time I got rolling at 630 it had stopped raining but everything was soaked. The cold front passing was a good thing. The headwind was gone and the temperature and humidity dropped too. Overcast skies nearly all day was a nice relief for yesterday's sunburn. 

I chased the storm eastbound....never got rained on but the road was wet nearly all day.

Good riding conditions but the legs were still tired from yesterday's trouble so took it easy and slowed the pace a bit for a smooth ride up and over many small rises and into more wooded creeks overfilled with chocolate colored water from last night's storm.

If there's ever a Tour de South Central Nebraska I'm in. Well maintained roads, light traffic and beautiful countryside.  The constant wind is the only downer but an excellent place to ride. 

I had a real treat today after stopping at another Pony Express station/museum near Hollenburgh...a 20mph downwind ride for about 15 miles through the rolling hills.  I had been fighting that north cross wind (better than a headwind) all day so felt I deserved the free ride. It was sweet as I hardly cranked the pedal even on the uphill. 


Yep.  Looks like Kansas. 
The site I visited in Hollenburgh is a well preserved actual Express "Home Station" and bigger than most.  I was given the key to the door and had the whole place to myself to explore.  It's all carefully preserved as a museum piece but still fun to climb the stairs to snoop and whatnot. 


Hollenburgh Home Station. 

Rode the last 10 miles to Marysville along the Pony Express Highway, then past the Pony Express Liquor Barn and Pony Express Car Wash. You get it.  It's all about the Pony Express in Marysville, Kansas...a moderately big town. The Pony Express logo is plastered on everything here including the town's water tower and cop cars. Sadly though, there is no charm and I am missing Nebraska already.


Marysville, KS town plaza. They love their Pony Express here. 
I was looking forward all day to visiting the museum here but lost enthusiasm when I saw the bus loads of visitors heading to the door.  I'll try again tomorrow at the "real" museum in St. Jo. 

When I asked the motel lady about a good place to eat without riding the bike back to town I was sent next door to the bowling alley. Had another burger and fries while watching the Pony Express Vet Clinic team work the 7-10 split on lane 3. People in Marysville are good at bowling. 

Tomorrow is the last day of this crazy and wonderful 3 summer project.  101 miles to St Joseph, Missouri and this bike ride will officially end at the museum there. I haven't decided how I feel about ending this great adventure nor what to do next but tomorrow is my day to enjoy the ride and the great memories from this most amazing journey.   It might be a sad day...or a happy day. I'm not sure yet. 



Sent from my iPad

1 comment: